Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 3 of Road Trip 2010

Let me catch you all up to date.

We left Vancouver @ 10 am Sunday and arrived in 100 Mile House about 4 in the afternoon, it rained off and on from Abbotsford to Hope. We stopped at Emory Creek campsite and visited with Joanne for about an hour, I think she enjoyed the company as she was there by herself, Cam and Heidi were returning from Summerland later in the day.

We stopped in Cache Creek and had a bite to eat at one of the local restaurants, again nothing special. The weather was warm (not hot) which made travelling comfortable. There was very little smoke in the air in 100 Mile House, it had rained earlier in the day which had cleared the air by the time we arrived. We stayed at the Red Coach Inn, clean comfortable room with all the amenities. Now keep in mind we are in 100 Mile on a Sunday, the only thing open is Save On foods and yet we still take a drive through town looking for anything that is open, actually I was quite amazed on how quiet it was. We were even too late to go to the local movie theater...

Monday morning we left 100 Mile with a belly full of Tim Hortons coffee and a bagel, on the road again headed for Barkerville. Our first stop of the day, hold your breath, Zellers in Williams Lake, Bev forgot her face soap at home ( I forgot all of my recent purchases from Lane Bryant, Diana will understand) which means I only have one... ten days without changes...not good, I knew I forgot something! Anyway, I digress, we finally found Bev's soap at Save On in Williams Lake and then we hit the road heading for Quesnel. Driving down the highway you could see a haze in the horizon and the closer we got to Quesnel we realized we were hitting smoke from the fires in the area. It was quite breezy there and the wind was just bringing more smoke into the area. We had lunch and headed out to Barkerville, we left the smoke behind.

This is where I get into blogging and telling a story... we arrive in the little town of Wells, not bigger than a postage stamp. It was two hotels and a motel and 4 or 5 crafty stores as well as other assorted buildings. Our hotel is called The Wells, it is a two story building with a lobby, pub and restaurant on the ground level and the guest rooms on the second floor, up a flight of stairs and down the hall is our room. The "room" is tiny, two twin beds a credenza (no chair) and an old fashion sink are in this room, the bathroom (which is attached to the room thank god) has a toilet and a bathtub. The hotel was built in 1933 and a room was just a sleeping place and they had a communal shower and toilet which still exists. It is very rustic and fits in with it's surrondings extremely well. (I have pictures). Anyway, we register, get over the shock of our room and head off to Barkerville, 10 mins away. After 5 in the afternoon you can get into the town for nothing, the stores close at 6 and the restaurant closes at 8. We went to see Judge Begbie at 5:30, very interesting, he is known has the hanging judge and he says he doesn't understand why, he put on a one man performance for 30 minutes, very informative... anyway we hung around there till 7, back to the hotel, had a good dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and retired to our room to... did I mention that the room has no TV or telephone and that my cell phone has 'no service'...did I also not mention that I have never been without a TV...hmmmmmmmmm... did I remember to bring a book, oh yah, 'O' which nows stands for 'OH'my god whatever am I gonna do! Don't you be worried, I FOUND SOMETHING TO DO! or should I say I found someone to bug! That's what travel companions are for, Right?
I will return later, I have to go retrieve Bev from Barkerville...

1 comment:

vaughan said...

you are soooo funny!